Welcome to Madhya Pradesh
the very heart of india
Just 100 km away from Indore, Mandu is situated along the Vindhyan ranges at a height of 2000 feet. It was called by the Muslim rulers as Shadiabad, ” The City of Joy”. Tour Enquiry
How To Reach Mandu : Nearest airport to reach Mandu is Indore which is 100 km away. It is normally a 2 hours drive from Indore to Mandu. One can stay a night in Indore or drive straight to Mandu as Mandu provides lots of good hotel accommodations. Tour Enquiry
History of Mandu : Dhar which is 35 km away from Mandu was originally the capital of the Parmar rulers of Malwa. Later the Sultans of Malwa shifted their capitol from Dhar to Mandu.
Mandu has got 344 buildings, 505 baori (step wells) and water pond, 700 temples and 300 mosques according to the famous historian Prof. Kinpeet. Mandu is known to be Asia’s biggest fort in terms of the vast area of 12000 acres over which the entire fort is spread over.
Scenic beauty at Mandu : The hill range over which Mandu is situated is gifted with a very eye-catching natural scenery, which is at its best during the rainy season, when on all sides, it is dressed in green with a number of brooks and torrents, rushing down into the ravine winding about its sides below. The beauty of which is further enhanced by about a dozen lakes and ponds interspersed on its top. Emperor Jehangir who journeyed all the way from Delhi to spend time here wrote ” I Know of no place so pleasant in climate and so pretty in scenery as Mandu during the rains.” It was called by the Muslim rulers as Shadiabad, ” The City of Joy”.
Sight seeing at Mandu could be covered in one full day which includes visit to all the beautiful palaces and fort of Mandu. One can get customized tour package to Mandu covering Indore, Omkareshwar, Maheshwar. Omkareshwar and Maheshwar are situated not more then 60 km away from Mandu on different directions.
Historical Monuments at Mandu :
The rulers of Mandu built exquisite palaces like Jahaz and Hindola Mahals, ornamental canals, baths and pavilions. Each of Mandu’s structures is an architectural gem and the monuments were developed in the period of hardly 125 years, between 1401 A.D to 1526 A.D. Massive Jami Massjid and Hoshang Shah’s tomb are extraordinary, which provided inspiration for the master builders of the Magnificent Taj Mahal centuries later. Mandu, the fortress of joy, rises 634 meters high in the Vindhya Range and is enclosed in battlements 37 km long. Tour Enquiry
Sultan Ghiyasud-din Khilji also built the Hindola Mahal, or the Swinging Palace. It got this name from its sloping walls which looked like the trestle supports of a swing. It was a great audience hall of the King of Mandu.
On the lofty crest of the hill to the south beyond the place of Baz Bahadur stand the pavilions associated with the romantic name of Roopmati. The Pavilion was originally built as an army observation post. From its hills perch, this graceful structure with its two pavilions was a retreat of the lovely queen, from where she could see Baz Bahadur’s palace and the sacred river Narmada,the stream of which is seen is from here on a clear sunny day, winding about like a white serpent on the plains below. To enjoy the romantic beauty of the site one should visit at the time of sunset or in a clear moon-light when he will surely feel himself to be in a fairly dream-land of the past, an experienced he might never forget.
Baz Bahadur Palace
The 6th century palace is situated on the slopes of a hill in the midst of picturesque natural scenery with a wide courtyard and encircled by halls and high terraces. Tour Enquiry
Hoshang Shah’s Tomb
Retains the masculinity and majesty of the Afgan ruler and is one of the finest example of Afgan architecture. It has a beautiful dome, marble lattice work, porticos, courts and towers.
Built on the lines of the great mosque of Damascus this grand mosque stands on a high ground with a porch protruding in the center. Its construction was started by Hoshang and completed by Mahmud Khalji in 1454 A.D
A 120 meter,. Long double-storied pleasure palace built between two lakes Munji Talao and Kanpur Talao, resembles a ship and during monsoons it resembles a ship sailing in a great lake. Sultan Ghiyasud-din Khilji who reigned for 31 years from 1469 built this Palace for his large harem of 15,000 women.
Mugal emperor Jahangir and his beautiful wife, Nur Janhan, lived here often and held memorable lantern-lit parties and functions, about one of which the emperor writes: “It was a wonderful assembly.In the beginning of the evening they lighted lanterns and lamps all round the tanks and buildings and a lighting up was carried out like of which has never been arranged in any place. The lanterns and lamps cast their reflection on the water and it appeared as if the whole surface of the tank was a plain fire. A grand entertainment took place and the drunkards indulged themselves to excess”. Tour Enquiry
One can just imagine the original beauty of the construction and the joys of life it witnessed from the above account.